Saturday, April 4, 2009

HEROS AND VILLAINS

I think this is an exercise that everyone should do. Its another method of analysis and representation - this one pertaining to the question of "what's important" you "moral code" of sorts.

So who are your heros, and who are your villains - in life, I am talking about.

These are mine, and this will be a work in progress (as are all posts until the end of the project.)

HEROS - in no particular order - and some of these are actually personal to me (I will explain)

ED WOOD: in the context of the studio I watched the movie "Ed Wood" and as a result gained an appreciation for the man - or at least the version of him as portrayed by Johnny Depp (oh I think I might consider him a second teir hero - I cite his character in Pirates of the Caribbean, jack sparrow - a character that cites as influence, keith richards. and incidentally, his character plays with the idea of the outcast as well.)

But I would like to make reference to a statement an old professor of mine used to/and may still make when he lecutures. - Hernan Diaz Alonzo. His hero, as the NARRATIVE goes is the Coyote in the Road runner/Coyote relationship - in the context that after each failure, the Coyote picks himself up, brushes himself off, and tries again. not daunted by failiure.

what is funny is that for Ed Wood - its a question of scale. I don't recall the exact quote, but he says basically "movies are about the BIG PICTURE. no

JACK SPARROW: after reading about him I have decided to list him as well. and without going into detail, I will just provide the link - LINK TO JACK SPARROW BIO. What is amusing is that there seem to be MANY similarities between Ed Wood and Jack Sparrow.

more related to architecture are
ANTONI GAUDI I think of it this way - Architecture could be described as to exist along a spectrum with FORM and FUNCTION at opposite ends. Gaudi was able to take this linear spectrum and bend it into a circle, overlapping the extreme ends of the spectrum - In other words, he produced buildings that were both rooted in logic as it related to program, but were also beautiful in form (another way of saying it Form and Function are continually at odds with each other, and we are forced (or believe we are forced) to create a hierarchy of "form over function" or "function over form." Gaudi was able to marry the two and produce something that lacked a hierarchy between form and function.

THOM MAYNE


and by the way, you should really WATCH THIS VIDEO IT IS GREAT GREAT GREAT. in addition to describing architecture SO WELL, he goes on to discuss ideas related to the project on many levels. so WATCH!!!

MDRDV


And I include this video as an example that we are talking about ideas - not architecture. we are using architecture to express those ideas. and this video explains the idea and architecture in a way that no amount of static elevation/section...bla bla bla. Now mind you, I'm not saying you don't have to make those drawings, those drawings are still important as an analytical tool - but may not necessarily be an appropriate tool for representation.


Others to be discuss later (these are of a more personal nature and despite the fact that both gentlemen are architects, they offer more at the SCALE of life.

Stanley Tigerman
George Yu


And as a side note, I've begun watching HEROS on hulu.com. it's about hero's and villans, and talks about the idea with ambiguity/complexity/contradiction.

I am also reminded of the movie FREAKS as playing with ideas of hero's and villains.


And I suppose most of these HEROS listed so far carry ideas of outcast as well. certainly ed wood, and stanley tigerman. I think stanley would be proud to bear the monicer of outcast, and indeed honorably so. The only one who doesn't fit the outcast mold on this list is George Yu. I don't think he can be considered an outcast can you? Anyway, this is my in progress list of my heros.

archite

2 comments:

  1. THOM MAYNE QUOTE

    "...buildings come together through the MULTIPLICITY OF SYSTEMS and its not any single system that makes the work its the RELATIONSHIP - its the dynamics between the systems
    which has the power to transform and invent, and produce an architecture that would otherwise not exist."


    MAYNE TIME: 5:30

    ReplyDelete
  2. well i guess ill post a few of my heros although i think most people know my addictions to pop culture already...

    oh and this is in order...

    1. KanYe West- I think it's more of a personal thing with the reason i appreciate him and call him a hero. His music relates to me a lot more than other people and I love his creativity.

    2. Pharrell Williams- Well Pharrell just is the ish!!! He can can sing, produce, design, and just be a really cool person...

    3. Kid Cudi- I know my first three heros are musical artists but i feel that music is my biggest hero in general. Kid cudi has one of the most dope styles ive ever seen and his music is something really special!!

    4. Sebastian Telfair- His amazing story rising up from the projects in Brooklyn to joining the NBA

    5. Tom Ford- My favorite fashion designer

    ReplyDelete