Tuesday, April 14, 2009

dream machine

Originally my first initial sketches of my museums design consisted of a building split into two halves with a central stairwell as its center connection point. I went about creating the left side of the building like the left side of the brain (structured, ordered, logical, non-chaotic) as opposed to the right side which I modeled after the right side of the brain which is chaotic and random. The program I had placed in these two different sides of the museum were as follows: the right side consisted of artwork and research related to dreaming (logical and physical things relating to the subject of dreaming) and the left side of the building consisted of small rooms (sleeping pods) where people could sleep and in a sense create their own artwork. I recently realized that because of the right sides chaotic architecture, it didn't seem like a very good place for someone to achieve a peaceful sleep. I then realized that dreaming is a process which lets our inner thoughts run wild in order to keep our real lives structured and normal and also the sleeping process on the exterior is a peaceful and clam event. So after that thought I decided to completely swap the programs within my building. The left (structure) side of my building will now house the sleeping pods and the right (random) side of my building will now consist of "dream artwork". The way I see it is that while the guests are sleeping in their pods there thoughts while dreaming are transported through the central corridor,over to the chaotic right side of the building, where they are displayed for all to see. The building itself in a way is a dream machine/factory.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the idea, so if i understand it correctly, i would sleep in a chamber, and my dreams would be on disply for others to see? I also liked how you thought out the left side and right side of the museum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of creating space based on the halves of the brain... and I think your process of determining what spaces should go where is perfect. Have you ever seen the movie The Cell? You should watch it because it deals with dream-like state and your imagination running wild...

    ReplyDelete