Thursday, April 16, 2009

MY BRAIN HURTS (PART 2)



I'm still trying to figure out a way to incorporate the nature and pattern of neural blasts into my design. The electrical impulse-as-floor plan idea has already been posted . . . twice, I think . . . so I think I'll set that aside for now.

How about hemispheres? Not bad (as part of my idea or an album). I plan on splitting the museum's program in two:

1) the interactive environment equipped with LCD screens, virtual games/travel programs, movie theater and various scientific and artistic challenges will be awaiting the visitors. The walls for this hemisphere will be a bit ephemeral (the idea).

2) the community center - the materials used here are more solid, opaque . . . galleries/chambers, both permanent and new exhibits are present in this hemisphere. . . theater for live performances and classrooms will also be present. I would like to have walkways constructed around some of the abandoned machinery much like Peter Zumthor's Building for an Archeological Dig; thereby including the abandoned machinery as part of the permanent collection. (the Final Product)

Aside from the program, I'd like to incorporate some of the existing materials into the new design.

Now to consider the pattern for the interactive environment . . . an environment where walls will turn into floors and back into walls again. Where spaces interweave between exhibit spaces to production spaces . . . where the flow of visitors go from the observed to the observers as they receive glimpses of staff behind the scens. . . "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain? Oh, what am I saying? Go ahead,look. We're all in this togeter --- this exchange of ideas within the network of our community." It's a bit democratic, this free-flowing exchange of ideas. It's like democracy without the campaign trails and lobbyists. . . and the potential for much better results . . .

I guess the pattern should be ribbonlike . . . like the cerebral cortex --- the area of the brain where memory is stored in a redundant manner . . . also where thoughts are processed.

OK, cerebral cortex it is; and, oh . . . guess I just moved the target, didn't I?





No comments:

Post a Comment