Monday, April 6, 2009

ARCHITECTS DONT MAKE BUILDINGS

Architects don't make buildings, architects make drawings of buildings.

That's something that was told to me while I was in school - and its something I have regurgitated to all my students.

and its true, in a way. What I find fascinating about this idea is that The energy that goes into actually building a building FAR EXCEEDS the energy that goes into making the drawings.

In a sense this is really about the idea of the catalyst. As architects we are like catalysts - we put a certain amount of energy into the system, and as a result, a much greater degree

And this too speaks to efficiency - How can I be an efficient catalyst as an architect, and as a teacher? How can I maximize the result in terms of energy in/energy out.

that is one of the ideas this method of teaching is EXPLORING. What is the best way for me to teach?

This also relates back to the Ed Wood example - he was genius in the fact that he was such an effective catalyst. The effectiveness of the catalyst also rests on the strength of ideas as well. Prevailing opinion is that Ed Woods movies are of very little quality (but does that mean they have no value? can things of poor quality, be high in "value?") - yet he was able to get people to buy into his ideas - despite the fact that they "lacked value." that's pretty amazing if you ask me.

But whats more important is that Ed Wood himself thought that his ideas had value - and if you want to know the truth, I agree.

So too through the use of this mechanism of the blog, the desire relates to this idea of catalyst.

No comments:

Post a Comment