Monday, April 6, 2009

THE DIAGRAM


This diagram is taken from the book "Content" I present it as an example of what I am talking about by "getting understanding of the VOLUME of your building."

puting the volume in context that you can understand.

And as a follow-up I ask this question. is this an effective diagram. It is making the attempt at giving us a new understanding of what 1400 feet means, by suggesting we look at that distance another way. (in terms of boats and planes.)

my first instinct is to say NO - it is not an effective diagram, the reason being that the examples given don't really relate to the human scale. I don't have the experience of walking along an ocean liner, and my experience of planes comes from inhabitting them, not placing them end to end. so this diagram is not very successful in gaining an understanding of what 1400 feet actually means.

Of course you look at the caption "TOO EXAUSITNG" the point of the diagram is to say that 1400 feet is TOO MUCH. so it is intended to keep 1400 feet foreign to us. it is indented to relate our understanding to things that we understand as large.

No comments:

Post a Comment