Wednesday, April 8, 2009

dreams

I was having a lot of trouble figuring out a topic to begin with for this project. I went through a bunch of things that I liked and found none of them to be interesting enough for me to further look into. When I got home from class on Thursday night I asked my sister (who knows me quite well) what she thought my main interests were. I'm a little embarrassed to say and admit but the first thing that came out of her mouth was "sleeping". With the topic of sleep in mind I thought , I will create a museum of dreams...but can you really even create a museum of dreams? because dreams are intangible things and the recall of dreams is extremely unreliable. the subject of what dreams really are and the meaning behind them to a person, if any, has been tackled by many and yet there is still no proven theory. the contents and biological purposes of dreams are still not fully understood although they have been a topic of speculation and interest throughout recorded history. even with the help of research studies on dream analysis, how can we really know if the information being taken has any validity? despite the fact that we have no idea if the research is valid, certain aspects and trends in dreams have been discovered. the most common emotion experienced in dreams is anxiety. negative emotions are more common than positive ones and the U.S. ranks the highest amongst industrialized nations for aggression in dreams. lastly and one of the most mind boggling thing to me is that the average human usually dreams for about 6 years of their life (in my case probably 20 years :-/) - this just gives me more reason to believe that dreams must have a meaningful purpose in our lives...that's really all i have so far...i'm trying to get a grasp the idea myself on what dreams really are...

4 comments:

  1. sounds like a good idea but it brought me back to that song "dreams" by the game...do you remember that song!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I really loved that song! Nice, Pete!

    Christine, I think this is a really interesting... maybe you could focus on the research of dreams rather than looking for proven theory... make the whole museum about searching for the answers/purpose of dreams....and in doing so creating a dream-like journey where you are not really sure if you are awake or asleep. I don't know if that makes any sense or is even helpful, but there you go, lol! I def like the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe the museum has some semi-unconciouss effect on a person. it puts them inbetween life and dreams

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its something that I am suggesting to everyone - but particularly you.

    the movie "Waking Life" its online (free)

    ReplyDelete