Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Why the Museum for Grown-ups?

One of my reasons for pursuing the Museum for Grown-ups to get adults back in touch with their childhood ability to learn new concepts through creative play and repetition. I thought it might be helpful to outline my thought process on why it is necessary for adults to become reacquainted with this idea of play and learning.

My museum concept is based on how children learn. One of the most prevalent methods of teaching children, and the method most commonly utilized in Children's Museums, is the idea that children learn through play. Play is how children experience their world and bring meaning to it... and it is through this medium that they are able to process new concepts and repeat ideas until it becomes part of their body of knowledge. Also, kids are free of many of the societal constraints or restrictions that bind and define the adult world... and it is this freedom that allows them to be more explorative and interactive with their world without worrying about bills, family problems, reputations, etc. These are things that worry adults and often hinder them from expressing creativity or interacting with their world and those around them.

So if kids all over the world learn through creative, interactive play, then it stands to reason that pretty much all adults, at some point, have experienced this. So therefore, by re-acquainting adults with play we are able to allow them to experience their world in a freer manner, get back in touch with the purity and inquisitiveness without worry or burden. Adults can then experience their world and bring meaning to it... therefore learning new and increasingly more difficult concepts, etc.

4 comments:

  1. WOW, I love your big words...I don't know how i could say your narrative is bad with them in there. lol!!!

    But yeah your idea seems really well thought out!! I'm interested how it will play out into the design!!

    pete

    ReplyDelete
  2. In terms of the idea for your museum, the thing I caution most is getting caught up in is "designing exhibits."

    we are designing museums not exhibits in museums.

    I like the idea - museum for adults. Kids see the world with curious eyes - a curiousity based on "newness" - so it seems as though you might be looking at PERSPECTIVE as well? by getting the adults to see "new things" or "things in a new way" - as a method to evoke the curiousity of a child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, yeah I guess it does relate to perspective, in a way. It's the idea of getting adults to see old ideas in a new light or bring new concepts together using old patterns, etc... in essence reverting to the basics in order to move forward. So I guess changing perspective is a part of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was just thinking about how owen has been pushing me to design my museum in a way that relates back 2 my projects subject (he wants me to design my building in my sleep or somehow tap into my subconscious) In your case i think your design process should be one in which you have fun! maybe you should actually build this thing out of LEGOs...or some sort of building blocks

    ReplyDelete